Monday, March 19, 2012

starting over...again

I've been sewing as a part-time business for over 6 years. I have to admit it, I like to sew. It's not the ground-breaking art that my classmates from grad-school are probably making, but at least I'm doing something, right? I started with belts, which was fun, and fairly mainstream (who doesn't wear a cute belt in the summer?)...but I got bored. I moved on to home decor a couple of years ago, and felt a little more artistic freedom. This time I opened an Etsy shop, and started selling hand-appliqued pillows and mixed-media paintings ( www.crossdrivedecor.etsy.com ). It was exciting to make connections with clients in Denmark, Australia, Japan etc. It was a little slower than the belt biz (new pillows and artwork are not always a no-brainer), but I acquired a small following for my cute wedding & birthday cake, onsie, or fill-in-the-blank personalized pillows. No complaints, but I am bored, again. So, I am starting over, again. This year I am hoping to make it more ground-breaking. Why not? Who says sewing isn't an art form? Who says sewing and painting can't come together in an interesting and new way. I want to push my own boundaries, think about my process, and make my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment