Tuesday, March 20, 2012

progress...

I finished appliqueing all the fabric shapes last night. I ended up not having very many scraps left from the packet, and I was able to balance the colors pretty well. The colors they sent me (not my choice) actually look interesting together, and I love how the gray canvas mellows them out. I originally planned on stitching around the large outer gear shape, and then my older son Tanner thought I should cut it out and sew it to another piece of fabric. He was right--the contrast it creates on the natural fabric works better than if I had simply outlined it in thread. Kids are brilliant sometimes. I also chose to match the thread colors so that the stitching isn't too prominent; I wanted the shapes to stand on their own. I also cut out the four remaining inside shapes, and they bring the natural canvas into the interior composition. If I had had more of the fabric, I probably wouldn't have made that choice, and I really like how the cut-aways lighten up the gear shape, while giving it more dimension on the inside...Now just lots of gray stitching....

No comments:

Post a Comment